The Mid North Coast is heading to its busiest Summer tourism season in years. Not only is accommodation already booked out for Christmas/New Year but much of January. It is also likely after COVID restrictions that many more people will be visiting and staying with relatives and friends.
Arts Mid North Coast is planning additional marketing strategies to showcase the region’s art and culture but artists and arts organisations need to start their own plan of actions to make the most of this opportunity. We’ve pulled together some suggestions to get you thinking:
- Check out what local markets will be on and book a stall for yourself or with other artists;
- Approach retailers, hospitality establishments, tourism operators and other services and see who might display your work;
- Consider listing on established retail websites;
- Consider building or extending your own online gallery and sales.
Museums & Galleries
- Consider offering guided tours especially for families;
- Consider changed opening hours especially twilight and evening tours (there is often little for tourists to do in the evening);
- Partner with artists to use your staffed reception areas for retail sales or displays.
Musicians & Performers
- Make yourself known at your local clubs. They will have less entertainment booked from visiting and touring artists;
- Approach cafes and restaurants to see if they wish to add music to their menu and expand their evening or lunch time experience;
- Check with your local Council as to provisions and controls for buskers;
- Talk to major tourism attractions and venues as to the value of wandering minstrels to entertain the queues that might happen because of large number of tourists and COVID restrictions.
Festivals & Events
With many 2020 and early 2021 festivals cancelled or postponed don’t miss the opportunity to promote your rescheduled events. If people are having a great holiday get them thinking about coming back for your next event.
- Make sure you list your event or venue with Arts Mid North Coast;
- List your event with your Council’s What’s On;
- If you have marketing collateral, distribute it as widely as possible where tourists will be e.g. clubs, caravan parks, galleries, shopping centres, cafes.
What is Arts Mid North Coast doing?
- We will be doing our annual More than a Beach feature on family activities from late December until school returns.
- Each summer we also publish our Top Ten Picks for Summer of cultural events and places.
- In December we will launch a new feature, Stories, on our Creative Coast website. This will highlight fascinating stories of our regional culture that is all things that make us special.
- We will be adding to our Creative Places featuring postcards from further unique places
- All of the above will be promoted through the Summer Season by a coordinated campaign of daily postings on our social media platforms.