The Australia Council for the Arts has published this extensive research which brings together data from Tourism Research Australia (TRA) with additional resources to gain insights into international arts tourism in Australia.
It highlights growing potential for the arts to drive and support tourism activity, and for artists to increase their engagement.
- the arts are increasingly part of the itinerary for international visitors to Australia
- the popularity of arts activities such as visiting museums and galleries
- strong growth in international visitors’ engagement with First Nations arts and culture and their attendance at festivals, fairs and cultural events
- the strength of arts tourism in regional Australia and the Asian tourist market.
- Engaging international tourists with arts experiences while they are in Australia is a key channel for reaching global audiences and shaping perceptions of Australia.
This research equips artists and arts organisations with valuable market intelligence about the behaviours and interests of international tourists.
It builds the evidence base about the role of the arts in supporting economic activity, and the arts’ contribution to cultural exchange, soft power and our international reputation.
Find out more about International Arts Tourism: Connecting cultures and download the report through this link